Friday, March 4, 2011

I think I've got the Go-bloots!

Could this be a Boo-Shoo Bird?
I don't know if I'm really getting sick, or if it's just a sinus infection--or what--but I haven't been feeling too hot for a couple days now.  We'll just say I've got the Go-bloots.

What is the "Go-bloots," you ask? Well, it's a rare disease which was "brought into this country on the hind legs of the Boo-Shoo bird."  Let me explain:  In I Love Lucy Episode #16 "Lucy Fakes Illness," Lucy decides the best way to persuade Ricky to let her be in his show is to convince him that he has caused her to have a nervous breakdown due to the constant frustration she suffers from his disallowing her involvement in his show.  Ricky begins to sincerely worry about Lucy's mental health until he discovers what she's up to.  To get even with her, he hires an actor-friend to come to the apartment, pretend he's a doctor and diagnose Lucy with some rare, exotic, tropical disease. After examining her, she is finally diagnosed with the "Go-bloots." Eventually, after seeing the world "through green-colored eyeballs" (a symptom of the go-bloots, which was secretly aided by Ricky's placing a green light bulb into her bedside lamp), she becomes convinced that she--and then, Ethel--have really contracted the Go-bloots. When Ricky believes Lucy has learned her lesson, he confesses to the whole gimmick, and they make-up. Assuming that she will be in the show, Lucy asks Ricky when she will start rehearsing.  He, in turn, pretends to suddenly develop amnesia, and when Lucy sees he is pulling her own trick, she agrees to give up her aspirations to be in the show.

So here's to the Go-bloots--and what's more--them going away!

You can purchase I Love Lucy Episode #16 "Lucy Fakes Illness" as part of  I Love Lucy - The Complete First Season

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...